<body style="margin-top:40px;"><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/7240584?origin\x3dhttps://beaned.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Sunday, April 13

Unity

I was having lunch with my friends while flipping through the Sunday Star and the bold captioned "Tengku Faris: Don't question Malay rights" caught my attention. I mean how could it not? Click here for the star online article.

"Malay Unity is the Core of National Unity."

We all know that Malay rights or privileges is a sensitive issue not to be brought up as it directly strikes the racial chord in our country, even more so after the heat of the general election. Having read that snippet from the paper, I tried to comprehend why exactly is Malay Unity the CORE of National Unity? I even tried thinking in Malay to understand the quoted phrase.
"Perpaduan Melayu adalah Asas bagi Perpaduan Nasional."
still nothing.

Correct me if I'm wrong but would that very strong and convincing statement made by Tengku Faris really, honestly, truly contribute in any way to our National Unity? I really am seriously wondering in a non-sarcastic way and it isn't even funny.
“The Malay Rulers will act as a source of unity and loyalty among all the people as stated in the Constitution and Rukunegara.
Way to go, I guess true "National Unity" in Malaysia will be achieved in no time having made that reassuring statement. One more thing though, when u mean "people", u do really mean the Malays, Chinese, Indians and others together, right?

On a more personal level, for this semester, we had to take a 2 credit hour "Ethnic Relations" or Hubungan Etnik as one of the subjects and I dare not say that my understanding on our country's National Unity is adequate enough to even be included or mentioned in this entry but one thing's for sure, the level of National Unity in Malaysia now by far in comparison has been an upward hill and I don't have to be literate to realize that Malay Unity has nothing to do with it.

I'd rather have it quoted:
"Racial Unity is the core of National Unity"
Doesn't it have a better ring to it?

Labels: , ,

5 comments


___________________________________________________________________________________
Dezmond sprouts at 4/13/2008 05:14:00 PM | Permalink


5 Comments:

--------------------------------------------------

Another one of those selfserving and idiotic boneheaded slogans that had been repeated ever so many times. If we look broadly all over the world and history, this is as stupid as saying tribal unity is the core of national unity. Can substitute with other stupid words like family unity, clan unity, gang unity, religious unity, Sunni unity, Shia unity, party unity etc.

What is certain is that - Narrow loyalty to a subgroup has nothing to do with patriotism or love of nation.

On the contrary, wherever this has occurred in the world, this is the hallmark of troublemaking, antinational, divisive and selfish groups that seek domination, power and riches.

With the present substandard education in history and critical thinking in Malaysia, such kinds of rubbish statements can be repeated without ridicule and scorn and accepted by unthinking slogan loving simpletons. They show their lack of education, ignorance of how the world works, and inability to think straight by not rejecting such blatantly illogical and worldwide proven falsehood.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:46 PM  

--------------------------------------------------

i support u to be a politician to againt this such of prejudis and racis peoples. I hate them to be our leader.

By Blogger 王凯歌, at 1:13 AM  

--------------------------------------------------

A Married Man believes in a United Malaysia.

Sigh

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:12 PM  

--------------------------------------------------

hey desmond. i bought a dozen donuts today and i've been going back and forth to the loo cos maybe i'm not used to its greasiness. bleh. don't over do donuts :/

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:16 AM  

--------------------------------------------------

Lol! a dozen donuts and all that washed down the toilet.. so wasted!!

I can't believe I just said that, in case u don't know, I'm VERY conscious on my weight haha..

By Blogger Dezmond, at 4:23 AM  

Post a Comment

Me


Name: Dezmond
Current location: Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia
About me: A perceptive, full-fledged Kuching-Sarawakian who sees life through insignificance. Survived, and blogs. Currently making his way into the working environment.
my profile...

Subscribe me

Get updates from my blog by email:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Previous Posts

Archives

Bloggers that I know


Bloggers

Being Politically Correct

Facebook me

Desmond Ngo | Create Your Badge

Link me

Rate Me

You can rate this blog at The PPS Directory


Technorati me

View blog authority
View blog top tags

My Flickr Album

www.flickr.com
dezmond's photos More of dezmond's photos

BlogLog


Join My Community at MyBloglog!

My Neopet

d3zmond got their Neopet at http://www.neopets.com


Those that make it happen













Powered by Blogger

web counter

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 License.